Sunday, March 05, 2006

Reason #23: He loves "Daddy's Little Girl"

I have a theory about first-born daughters. I think they look, think, and act a lot like their fathers, so that fathers have an easier time to bond with them. Mia is certainly her "father's daughter" -- she has his bone structure and body build (poor child), his aptitude for sports and large motor skills, and even his physical idiosyncracies, such as claustrophobia and sensitivity to touch.

She also has inherited his obsessive-compulsive personality, as exhibited in a strong need to have the details of the day planned out in advance, a strong dislike of being late for anything, and a workaholic nature. She seems to have a slight bit of dyslexia, like her father. She also is gifted with his powers of observation, and creativity.

Mia celebrated her fifteenth birthday, recently. Daddy's little girl is growing up! Their relationship has never been better than it is at this moment. There is a lasting, special bond--though at times it has been somewhat of a "love-hate" display of emotion, especially through the turbulence of pre-pubescence.

We couldn't be any more proud of the way she is developing into a mature young lady. She has a 4.0 in school; she is well-liked and sociable (15 girls were invited to her birthday party from her class, and they all came!); she is responsible and careful with finances, even tithing on her babysitting income; and most of all, she is tender-hearted for spiritual things, and a faithful worker for God.

I know that part of the reason their relationship has improved is the investment of more of daddy's time in his daughter's life. They have gone on trips together, and out on dates, and have daily connection time on the morning rides to school. I must admit, I have pushed hard for DH to do more things with both our children. (He was not naturally a nurturer; I have always suspected he had some sort of a dissociative attachment disorder due to his adoption.) I am thrilled with the changes that I see in both father and daughter.

I know he loves his "little" girl, and I know she knows and feels his love, too. He was just saying something the other night about "flowers in her hair" (referring to the song, "Butterfly Kisses") and it was so sweetly sentimental I was almost shocked!

Lord, thank you for the special bond between a daddy and his first-born daughter! She will always be... "Daddy's little girl."

There's two things I know for sure.
She was sent here from heaven,
and she's daddy's little girl.
As I drop to my knees by her bed at night,
she talks to Jesus, and I close my eyes.
And I thank God for all of the joy in
my life, But most of all, for...

Butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer.
Stickin' little white flowers all up in her hair.
"Walk beside the pony
daddy, it's my first ride."
"I know the cake looks funny,
daddy, but I sure tried."
Oh, with all that I've done wrong,
I must have done something right
To deserve a hug every morning,
And butterfly kisses at night.

Sweet sixteen today,
She's looking like her momma
a little more everyday.
One part woman, the other part girl.
To perfume and makeup,
from ribbons and curls.
Trying her wings out in a great
big world. But I remember...

Butterfly kisses after bedtime prayer.
Stickin' little white flowers all up in her hair.
"You know how much I love you daddy,
But if you don't mind,
I'm only going to kiss you on
the cheek this time."
With all that I've done wrong
I must have done something right.
To deserve her love every morning,
And butterfly kisses at night.